The provision of air navigation services is financed through air navigation charges. Air navigation charges are determined based on the costs of provision of air navigation services which are incurred by designated air navigation service providers (ANSP), together with the part of costs incurred by the Member State in relation to the overseeing of these services. There are two types of air navigation charges: en-route charges and terminal charges.
The designated ANSP is required to report annually to the President of the CAA the cost base for en-route charges and terminal charges. ANSP is also required to report, in the same time, calculated en-route and terminal unit rates. The reporting is based on tables and additional information defined in Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 391/2013 of 3 May 2013 laying down a common charging scheme for air navigation services (EU Charging Regulation) and EUROCONTROL legal provisions (see below).
Beginning from 2015 air navigation charges – both en-route and terminal – are calculated in line with the determined cost methodology. Under the determined cost approach the air navigation charges, both en-route and terminal, are based on costs determined in the performance plan for air navigation services and are aligned with the performance targets in the cost-efficiency area.
Air navigation charges (en-route and terminal) are established for charging zones. There is one en-route charging zone in Poland – FIR Warszawa – whereas terminal charging zones are established in line with Polish national procedure, that is are approved by a decision of the President of the CAA on the application of designated air traffic service provider.
Air navigation charges (en-route and terminal) are subject to consultation process with airspace users representatives. These consultations are carried out in accordance with the provisions of Art. 9 of EU Charging Regulation.
Issues relating to air navigation charges in Poland are regulated by the following national and international regulations:
• Art. 15 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation (also known as Chicago Convention) signed on December 7, 1944;
• Art. 14-15a of Regulation (EC) No 550/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 10 March 2004 on the provision of air navigation services in the single European sky;
• Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 391/2013 of 3 May 2013 laying down a common charging scheme for air navigation services;
• Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) No 390/2013 of 3 May 2013 laying down a performance scheme for air navigation services and network functions;
• Art. 130 of Aviation Law Act of July 3, 2002;
• Regulation of the Minister of Transport of 15 May 2007 on the air navigation charges;
• Regulation of the Minister of Transport, Construction and Maritime Economy of 13 August 2013 on the method and procedure of accounting and documenting costs of air navigation service provision for flights exempted from the payment of air navigation charges;
In addition, issues relating to en-route charges are regulated by the provisions of European Organization for the Safety of Air Navigation EUROCONTROL:
• The multilateral agreement on route charges drawn up in Brussels on February 12, 1981;
• Documents implemented into the Polish law by the Regulation of the Minister of Infrastructure of 5 September 2014 on the implementation to the application EUROCONTROL’s requirements in the filled of route charges system provisions:
o Conditions of application of the route charges system and conditions of payment,
o Principles for establishing the cost-base for route facility charges and the calculation of the unit rates.
Terminal charging zones in Poland
Terminal charging zones in Poland in 2017:
In 2017 there are two terminal charging zones in Poland covering the following airports:
I terminal charging zone:
• Chopina w Warszawie / EPWA
II terminal charging zone:
• Gdańsk im. Lecha Wałęsy / EPGD
• Kraków - Balice / EPKK
• Bydgoszcz - Szwederowo / EPBY
• Katowice - Pyrzowice / EPKT
• Łódź - Lublinek / EPLL
• Poznań - Ławica / EPPO
• Rzeszów - Jasionka / EPRZ
• Szczecin - Goleniów / EPSC
• Wrocław - Strachowice / EPWR
• Zielona Góra - Babimost / EPZG
• Warszawa/Modlin / EPMO
• Lublin / EPLB
• Radom - Sadków / EPRA
• Olsztyn - Mazury / EPSY
Terminal charging zones in Poland in 2008-2016:
Notice of President of Polish CAA
|2016||Notice No 12 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 29 December 2015 http://edziennik.ulc.gov.pl/#/legalact/2015/72/|
|2015||Notice No 20 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 23 December 2014 http://edziennik.ulc.gov.pl/#/legalact/2014/87/|
Notice No 14 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 22 November 2013
Notice No 2 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 10 January 2013
Notice No 26 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 17 December 2012
Notice No 17 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 30 December 2011
Notice No 28 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 8 December 2010
Notice No 3 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 18 January 201 0
Notice No 28 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 22 December 2008
Notice No 1 of President of Polish Civil Aviation Authority from 7 January 2008
In 2017 the unit rates for air navigation charges in Poland amount to:
The unit rates for air navigation charges in Poland
• For en-route charges: PLN 185,47 (EUR 42,96 at exchange rate 4,31698) + EUR 0,07*
* EUR 0,07 is the administrative unit rate added to national unit rate by the EUROCONTROL Central Route Charges Office constituting the remuneration for the costs incurred by EUROCONTROL in operating the Multilateral Route Charges System.
The en-route unit rate shall be recalculated monthly by applying the average monthly rate of exchange between EUR and PLN for the month preceding the month during which the flight takes place. The exchange rate applied shall be the monthly average of the “Closing Rate” calculated by Reuters based on daily BID rate.
• For terminal charges: PLN 477,28 for I terminal charging zone (information above) and PLN 840,08 for II terminal charging zone (information above).
The unit rates in Poland in 2010-2016
The unit rates in Poland in 2009
The unit rates in Poland in 2008
The navigation charges in EUROCONTROL Member States
Information about unit rates of en-route charges for all EUROCONTROL states are available at: http://www.eurocontrol.int/articles/information-circulars
Financial & Economic Analyses Division (LER-3)
Tel. +48 22 520 73 06/76
Fax. +48 22 520 73 49/06